March marks the beginning of Spring AND National Spanish Paella Day!
Did you know that the word “paella” means “frying pan” in Valencian? Paella is a traditional Spanish dish that is vibrant and versatile. Made with rice, saffron, onions and a variety of other ingredients, this dish deserves your attention! The turmeric, saffron, and garlic produces an aroma that brings everyone in the house to the table. If you are a one pan dish fan, this is your dish! All of these wonderful ingredients are cooked and served in one pan making clean up pretty easy! This rice dish is so good, Chef Daphne had to share her Shrimp Paella recipe. Below is a quick step by step video that you can follow along with to make this delish dish!
So while the trees are blooming and warmer weather is upon us, give this recipe a try and sit out on the patio and ENJOY! Remember if you don’t want to cook alone, you don’t have to! Take a look at our Cooking Classes offering. We’d love to cook with you!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground saffron
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground garlic
Salt and Pepper
½ cup chopped onion (white and sweet)
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
½ cup chopped green bell pepper
½ cup green peas
½ cup chopped tomatoes
1 lb of uncooked shrimp
1 cup of clam juice
2 cups of vegetable broth
parsley (fresh or dried)
- Heat oil in 10”-12” paella pan (or large skillet) over medium-high heat.
- Add onions (white and sweet), red and green bell peppers.
- Add in uncooked rice.
- Cook until the vegetables have softened. (about 3 minutes)
- Add chopped tomatoes and spices (turmeric, saffron, ground paprika, garlic, salt) and cook for about 2-4 more minutes.
- Pour in clam juice and vegetable broth. (If you do not have clam juice, chicken broth is a good substitute)
- Bring to a boil and let continue to boil for 3 minutes. (Do not continue to stir rice at this point)
- Once the mixture is boiling, turn heat to a simmer and cover for about 5 minutes until almost all of the liquid is gone.
- Sprinkle peas over rice mixture in pan.
- Add 1 lb of shrimp by laying it on top of the rice (do not stir shrimp into rice) then cover again and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir the dish. Ensure that the liquid is fully absorbed, and shrimp is pink.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.